Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dear Inconsolata, I want to use you properly

I never got why inconsolata font is considered good for coding and things like that... until today.

I learnt that if I set autohint=true for the Inconsolata font in Linux (I am currently on Ubuntu 14.04), it actually looks great!

So, after reading some portions of the fonts.conf(5) manual page, I added the following stanza to my .config/fontconfig/fonts.conf file so that autohinting will be selectively turned on only for the Inconsolata font (others fonts tend to look horrible if autohinting is turned on as far as I am concerned):

 <match target="pattern">
     <test name="family">
         <string>Inconsolata</string>
     </test>
     <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
         <bool>true</bool>
     </edit>
 </match>


No comments: